Saturday, September 27, 2008

Right or Left Brained?



Ok, so one of my bosses came to work about a month ago raving about this self test to see whether you are right brained or left brained. What's the difference? We'll get there.

So interlock your fingers as if you are going to put your hands in your lap. One thumb will be over the other thumb. Note which thumb is on top.

For me, the left thumb is on top. This makes me almost extinct at my job. I work in Accounts Recievable. I don't know how I've managed to fool these people that I can stay organized long enough or pay attention for more than 10 minutes at a time for over 10 years. In fact, once a certain minute bit of time goes by, the speaker often looks at me and says "are you still with us?". My feet shake in a sort of chair treadmill simulation. People ask if I have to pee. No. I don't. But I'll fake it if it gets me out of this meeting.

I digress.

If your left thumb was on top, you are right-brained. If your right thumb is on top, you are left brained. Obviously this shows your main tendency - not that if you are like me, right brained, you can't get your head out of the lost land of Atlantis to sign your name.

Here is the basic explanation of what's what:

LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

So what is our group made of? And do you feel that it fits?

15 comments:

The Neighbor said...

Right brained here, and it fits very well, especially:

imagination rules (with an iron fist)
symbols and images
philosophy and religion
can 'get it'
spatial perception (i could write a whole post about this; I have no depth perception, yet can drive well and throw and catch a baseball)
impetuous
risk taking

But I've also got some left brained qualities.

On a somewhat related note - a teacher of mine did this same test once the first day of class and said that anyone who was right brained was likely to fail his class. I'm not sure if it was a sociology experiment or what, but I got a B. Mostly out of spite.

Boopila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Boopila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A Shade Of Scorpio said...

Yeah, I did do the Meyers Briggs....ENFP....

Now there was one or two people at work who did the thumb thing who are pretty tightly wound and yet they turned out with a right brained verdict. Like we're talking majorly anal who moved the dust particle on my desk over by a meridian kind of thinking.

The Neighbor said...

When I took the Myers Briggs, I was a solid I, and I split exactly the other three categories. Officially, I am an IXXX. In reality, the test giver said that mean I an an INFP.

A Shade Of Scorpio said...

I for Impressive.

The Neighbor said...

And XXX for naughty.

A Shade Of Scorpio said...

(said in menacingly low voice....)You win this round FB. But I will return.

The Neighbor said...

;-D

Return, or come again?

Yep, said it.

Alan said...

Well, I came again. Does that count?

I joke because I CAN!!

With my right thumb standing resolutely on my fingerstack, I discover I am left-brained.

DURRR?

I discover this, then I look up the characteristics of left-brainers. The last characteristic is "SAFE."

You know that feeling when you know a laugh is the correct response, but you can't give one up?

Eeyeah.

Except I'm as imaginative as The Brothers Grimm. So there's overlap, undoubtedly, but yeah. Left-brained.

Mama Monster said...

Right brained, here.
And INTJ. Which means I'm very logical and analytical and yet totally impulsive. Hmmm.

A Shade Of Scorpio said...

FB - Return was merely safe....now that I know the intentions, I've ripped the emf safety shield off my laptop...meeeYOW....

The Neighbor said...

Wow.


Yeah, that's all I got.

MM once asked me what I would do if she stabbed me. While poking me with a knife. Yep. Alan, we got us a wild bunch here. I'm probably going to need some backup. Well, maybe.

The Neighbor said...

*purrrr*

P.A. GIbbons said...

right brained for me!