Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October

I love October in my mid-Atlantic state. The weather turns abruptly crisp this month, and the furnace gets relit from its long summer dormancy. The sweaters and wool socks find their way into the drawers. The leaves change and fall. Someday soon we will see our breath in the air. The squirrels and chipmunks are a frenzied lot, collecting and hoarding and prepping - time is almost up. Birds are soaring overhead, making early decisions for warmer climes. The days get shorter and shorter - dawn comes slower, dusk comes faster. The firepit becomes a comfort instead of a wood-burning utility.

It's a great time to be with the ones you love, to be close and cuddled and warm. To daydream about the meals we will eat, and the gifts we will give, and the joys we will share. It is a perfect time to begin to relfect on the year as it passed, on the seasons as they meld, on the quickening days of the winter to come.

It is bittersweet at times, but mostly, it's just sublime.

Happy autumn everyone.

2 comments:

A Shade Of Scorpio said...

It's nice to see a heartfelt shoutout to autumn. It's always been my fave season. When I think of first grade, I remember the smell of the playground surrounded by oaks. There were tons of acorns underfoot getting crunched by a bunch of kids playing. Or we'd pick up the small branches with a bunch of leaves on it to use as a wand or dustbroom or wig. Truly the most wonderful time of the year!!!! New beginnings....I feel like Fall is a birth and death at the same time. Inevitable Regeneration (ha! I'm shameless).

The Neighbor said...

I think your blog name is marvelously creative and expressive, and I know somehow that it just rolled off your mind one day.

I love this time of year, and I hate it as well. It's a time to nest, and that sort of bums me a little. But it's going to be beautiful in all the right ways, wistful and colorful and a graceful parting of ways with summer.

Acorns. Don't get me started.